[mercury-users] my problems with parsing.mkEncoding

Tudor Holton taholt at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Nov 11 10:06:45 AEDT 2005

Uni
===

The output I did get was the following (from a previous email, please
read on):
%%%%%%%%%
ml --make-shared-lib --grade asm_fast.gc             -static
-R/home/pgrad/taholt/mercury/extras/lib/mercury/lib/asm_fast.gc
-R/home/pgrad/taholt/mercury/extras/lib/mercury/lib
-L/home/pgrad/taholt/mercury/extras/lib/mercury/lib/asm_fast.gc
-L/home/pgrad/taholt/mercury/extras/lib/mercury/lib
--init-file-directory
/home/pgrad/taholt/mercury/extras/lib/mercury/modules --     -o
libxml_easy.so \        xml_easy.pic_o \
           -lxml
ld: warning: option -d appears more than once, first setting taken
ld: fatal: option -dn and -G are incompatible
ld: fatal: Flags processing errors
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake: *** [libxml_easy.so] Error 1
%%%%%%%%%%

HOWEVER:

This morning, mmake seems not to be responding at all on lister.   mmake
realclean, mmake depends, mmake, and mmake install all output nothing
and do nothing.  Have tried on murang and mungee also.
Admittedly, I am sshing in from a OSX 10.4 machine, so it could be a
terminal issue, but I have tried on both OS X Terminal and X11 Terminal.

Which machine do you recommend?

Laptop
=====
Additionally, I'm trying to recompile mercury on my laptop.  Mercury is
compiled and installed, however, when I go to the xml directory and type
"mmake depend" it gives me the error:
/usr/local/mercury-0.12.0-beta-2005-04-12/lib/mercury/bin/i586-pc-linux-gnu/mercury_compile:
relocation error:
/usr/local/mercury-0.12.0-beta-2005-04-12/lib/mercury/bin/i586-pc-linux-gnu/mercury-compile:
symbol __libc_stack_end, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file
ls-linux.so.2 with link reference
make: *** tryit.depend] Error 127

Why is it running 0.12.0-beta-2005-04-12 when I ran sh INSTALL and it
was successful on snapshot 2005-10-08 last night?
Do I need to uninstall 0.12.0 first?  According to apt, I don't have any
mercury debian packages installed.
I'm running an up-to-the-minute insall of Debian unstable.
It's strange that I have directories in /usr/local called:
mercury-0.12.0
mercury-0.12.0-beta-2005-04-12
mercury-rotd-2005-11-04
mercury-rotd-2005-11-07
mercury-rotd-2005-11-08

Do rotd releases not override links to stable releases?

Cheers,
Tudor.