[mercury-users] higher-order programming

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Mon May 23 19:32:35 AEST 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 02:37:26PM +1000, Mark Brown wrote:
> I'm looking into a way of improving this situation, but it isn't a high
> priority at the moment since there are simple (albeit klunky) workarounds
> for both problems.

To write a system like the combinators from HaXML is effectively
impossible in Mercury.  It's simply too klunky to have to continually
wrap each combinator in a lambda expression.

My solution was to instead map the higher order functions to data
constructors, which allows one to easily combine the combinators,
however it's not possible to add new base combinators easily to the
system, which is an annoying drawback to the system.

So providing on how much work it is, I would suggest considering raising
the priority.