[mercury-users] Mercury integration into existing C/C++ application

Alvin Beach abeach at deepvision.ca
Thu Mar 10 03:16:08 AEDT 2005

Hello all,

I am currently working on a project that requires implementing several rules.
The rules are simple enough that I could implement them myself, but
maintaining the code could become very time consuming if/when I modify, add
and remove rules. My first instinct was to look into Lex (flex) but it
requires my project to link to the flex library.

This has lead me to search for a state machine generator or as logic
progamming system (Mercury) that can be integrated into the project without
having to link to any external libraries. By integrate I mean, the logic
system would generate the necessary .o and .h that could then be used by my
project.

I have read through the Mercury Tutorial by Ralph Becket as well as looked
through the Mercury User's Guide. Both are excellently written but I could
not determine how I could call the compiled Mercury C object code from within
my project?

My project is C++ library itself, but I can use the C object code and create
the necessary wrappers once I understand on to fully take advantage of
Mercury. I currently have written a front-end that calls the library. The
library performs some operations which may include executing several rules.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Alvin