[mercury-users] .par grades of Mercury: are they safe?

Dominique de Waleffe ddw at missioncriticalit.com
Mon Nov 22 07:43:10 AEDT 2004

I spotted the following paragraphs in the NEWS file of the current ROTD.

Changes to the Mercury compiler:

* Due to personnel changes and semantic problems in the design of
  POSIX threads and problems in the implementations thereof that we have tried,
  we cannot guarantee that we will be able to fix low-level concurrency bugs in
  .par grades.
<<<

That makes me worried.

We are using the hlc.par.gc grade for a big application for a
commercial customer (objective is 300 concurrent users) and I would
like to know what are those bugs being talked about and
in which kind of use of threads in Mercury we would be likely to
encounter or be hit by those bugs.

Can anyone comment?

D.