[mercury-users] debian packages?

William Lee Irwin III wli at holomorphy.com
Fri Jun 11 00:31:02 AEST 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 03:33:16AM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> Say, I noticed that there hasn't been a recent dupload of the debian
> packages, and apparently something's gone wrong with the glibc version
> I've upgraded to (maybe missing deps?) Any chance of a fresh dupload?
> Thanks.

I seem to have found some at http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~hawkinsp/
A bloody godsend -- about 3 abortive attempts at bootstrapping
through various versions to get to a complete package I had built
myself failed. Still some weird gcc thing there (gcc-3.2 was hardcoded
in the scripts for some reason, but AFAICT gcc-3.3 works fine), though.
The major issue with bootstrapping was that the snapshots linked
against libc-2.3 were too old to build current cvs.

Another thing I noticed was that --split-c-files seemed unmainained. I
sort of like to optimize for size, since AFAICT faulting in stuff seems
to be the single largest overhead of running short lived processes.
FWIW, what seems to come out the smallest from a quick survey seems to
be --cflag -Os -O5 --intermodule-optimization --grade hlc.gc but I've
not looked very hard to see what generates the smallest executables.

-- wli