[mercury-users] High-level vs LLDS grades

Peter Hawkins peter at hawkins.emu.id.au
Sat Jul 17 11:45:36 AEST 2004

Hi...

I'm interested to know whether anyone has benchmarked the performance of
the various grades recently. In particular I'd like to know:

* Is the grade reg.gc likely to be faster than hlc.gc?
* Is the grade hlc.gc likely to be faster than none.gc?
* What features (if any does the grade hlc.gc) lack? Are there any
  reasons to install the LLDS grades at all?

The only indication of this that I could find on the web pages was the
following list in the 0.10 release notes:
* abstractly exported equivalence types defined as `float'
* calling compare/3, or the `in = in' mode of unification, for certain
  standard library types (std_util__type_desc/0, and
  std_util__type_ctor_desc/0).
* calling copy/2 on higher-order terms
* demangling of symbol names in the profiler
* fact tables for procedures with determinism `nondet' or `multi'
* the Mercury debugger (mdb)
* the Morphine trace analysis system
* the Aditi deductive database interface
* the `--split-c-files' option
* the `--introduce-accumulators' option
* dynamic linking (via the dl__mercury_sym procedure in extras/dynamic/dl.m
  in the mercury-extras distribution) for procedures with arguments of
  type `float' or `char'

Which of these still apply?

=)
Peter