[mercury-users] New to mercury: structure reuse and efficiency

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Jul 5 18:49:09 AEST 2004

Maurizio Colucci, Monday,  5 July 2004:

> > (We are currently working on adding support for types with Prolog
> > style unification as a special case of more general support for
> > constraint logic programming.)
>
> And how's it going?

I've nearly done the core part (i.e. support for constraint systems in
general).  I'm chasing down one last little bug in the implementation.
The design for types with Prolog-style unification is well advanced.

> I mean, will mercury eventually support such a
> unification? Will you have to enable it explicitely?

The intention is that the user will be able to write something like

:- prolog type foo ---> bar ; baz(foo) ; quux(foo, foo).

where unification of foo values will work just the way you'd expect them
to if you were writing Prolog.  This way the performance costs
associated with "prolog" types are confined purely to those parts of
your program that use them.

-- Ralph