[mercury-users] Deterministic or not? (PART 2)

David Overton dmo at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Apr 20 07:07:16 AEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 07:57:21PM +0100, Sergio Rafael Trindade Marques wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having a little problem with this code:
>

> /:- pred get_ys(list(string),list(string)).
> :- mode get_ys(in,out) is nondet.

This should be `is det'.

> get_ys(Vars,R):-
>    (Vars=[],
>        R=[]
>    ;Vars=[E|Es],
>        count_element(E,Es,0,N),
>        (N=0,
>            get_ys(Es,R)
>        ;N\=0,
>            R=[E|Rs],
>            get_ys(Es,Rs)
>        )
>    )./

The Mercury determinism analysis algorithm is not able to infer that the
inner disjunction will not fail, and that it can only succeed once.
Instead you need to use an if-then-else:

	( if N = 0 then
		get_ys(Es, R)
	else
		R = [E | Rs],
		get_ys(Es, Rs)
	)

> /:- pred count_element(string,list(string),int,int).
> :- mode count_element(in,in,in,out) is nondet.
>
> count_element(E,Elements,NI,NF):-
>    (Elements=[],
>        NF=NI
>    ;Elements=[E1|Es],
>        (E=E1,
>            N1 is NI+1,
>            count_element(E,Es,N1,NF)
>        ;E\=E1,
>            count_element(E,Es,NI,NF)
>        )
>    ).

You will need to make the same change here.