[mercury-users] glibc versions

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Fri May 16 10:22:14 AEST 2003

Hi,

When I upgraded to RedHat 8, I noticed that all Mercury programs crashed
immediately after running with a segfault in the garbage collector
(including the Mercury compiler itself).

I believe this problem was fixed by upgrading Mercury to use a newer
version of the boehm garbage collector that worked on RedHat 8 correctly.

However if you compile a Mercury program on RedHat 7, and run it on
RedHat 8, (or even RedHat 7.3?) it crashes in the same way as the past,
even with the new garbage collector. This makes it quite difficult to
write portable programs.

Is anyone aware of actually what the issue is with the garbage collector,
why it is so fragile in its dependence on glibc version, and whether it is
possible to improve it to the extent that it runs without crashing?

Thanks,

Michael

--
YesLogic Prince prints XML!