[mercury-users] Manipulating Types and Tuples

Goncalo Jorge Coelho e Silva l10454 at alunos.uevora.pt
Wed May 7 10:22:52 AEST 2003

Hi,

following Ralph's suggestion back in the
"Re: [mercury-users] Prolog DCGs Pattern
Matching in Mercury" issue, I decided
to try and construct tuples that could
be analised as list terms.
 As what happens with "set_value(Address, Value)"
in Ralph's code:

   code_gen([Instruction | Program], Heap0, Heap) :-
                run_instr(Instruction, Heap0, Heap1),
                code_gen(Program, Heap1, Heap).

        run_instr(set_value(Address, Value), Heap0, Heap) :-
                set_heap(Heap0, Address, Value, Heap).

 So, I did this test program:

:- module inter.
:- interface.
:- import_module io.

:- pred main(io__state::di, io__state::uo) is det.

:- implementation.
:- import_module construct.

%:- myType ---> int ; string.

main(IO0,IO) :-
                %construct(myType,1,[29|"string"]) = MyTerm,
                %List = [1|2|[]],
                %construct_tuple(List) = Univ,

                print("Tuple/Functor test", IO0, IO1),
                nl(IO1, IO).

 ... that, didn't work. :\
 Since all the *strange* instructions dealing with
tuples and types are commented, I shouldn't
have a reason to get this, should I?:

mmc -E inter
mercury_compile: can't open file `construct.int'.
make: *** [run] Error 1

 Does this means that the compiler installations
misses something? Bad install?

...and, when I uncomment the line of the
myType declaration, since I don't believe
I have to import module 'type_desc' or
anything to handle type declarations, I also
shouldn't be getting this, would I?

inter.m:010: Error: unrecognized declaration: myType ---> int ; string.

Can you guys tell me what am I
doing wrong here?

...still, about the tuple construction, regarding these
2 functions, on the constructor module:

:- func construct(type_desc__type_desc, int, list(univ)) = univ.
:- mode construct(in, in, in) = out is semidet.

	% construct_tuple(Args) = Term
	%
	% Returns a tuple whose arguments are given by Args.
:- func construct_tuple(list(univ)) = univ.

  What's the middle argument in the 1st one? The functor arity?
The 'construc.m' description was not explicit to me.

Thank you so much.

Cheers,
Goncalo