[mercury-users] Back end

Simon Taylor stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 14 20:49:59 AEDT 2003

On 14-Mar-2003, suja c <suja_cin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I tried to compile the hello_world program with the
> option below , to get the java code.
>
> mmc hello_world.m --grade java
>
> i got an error saying javac not available.
> I just want to see teh java program. I dont want to
> execute it.

mmc -C hello_world.m --grade java

The command above should have generated the Java file before
reporting an error.

> What should I do for that. I want a
> detailed description regarding how to do this and also
> generate back ends using other languages such as c,il,
> .net and aditi.

For C
mmc -C hello_world.m

For IL (.NET)
mmc -C --grade il hello_world.m

Compiling for Aditi isn't as simple as just setting compile
options. The execution algorithm is completely different, and
code needs to be written specifically for that execution
algorithm. See the "Aditi deductive databasee interface" section
of the "Implementation-dependent extensions" chapter of the
Mercury Language Reference Manual for details. I'd strongly
recommend you leave Aditi alone until you understand Mercury
better.

Simon.