[mercury-users] Installation problem on MacOS X

Roy Ward roy at videoscript.com
Tue Jan 28 10:04:29 AEDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm very pleased that MacOS X is now a supported platform for Mercury.

However, I've encountered a problem trying to install Mercury on MacOS X
- it fails during configuration with:

> checking for an integer type with the same size as a pointer... unknown
> configure: error: Cannot determine the length modifier for the MR_Integer type.
This occurs with both 11.0 and 11.1-beta (2003-01-24), using MacOS X
version 10.2.3, with the default gcc version of: "GCC version 1040,
based on gcc version 3.1 20020105 (experimental)"

If I switch to the older included version of gcc (using gcc_switch)
"version gcc-937.2, based on gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)", it
works fine, however I'd quite like to use the more recent gcc if possible.

Has anyone else been able to install Mercury with the more recent gcc?

Cheers,
Roy Ward.