[mercury-users] Make, environment and linking in cygwin1.dll [was: Wow! It worked on Mingw]

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Feb 11 15:53:54 AEDT 2003

On 11-Feb-2003, Douglas Auclair <dauclair at msn.com> wrote:
> mmc --make <module> is now working ... it seems like all the symbolic links
> got turned into (real) directories when I unzipped the mingw port, so
> converting ints/ and module_deps/ and other dirs to symbolic links solved
> that problem.  This could be my problem in that I used WinZip, but perhaps
> a warning in the installation instructions might help others avoid this
> problem (if WinZip is the problem).

Yes, that will be the problem.  I will add such a warning.

> The mingw system is now even better!  But there are still issues,
> particularly with linking in cygwin1.dll.  MERCURY_MATH_LIB is set in 'ml'
> line 1064 (if I'm not mistaken, it's not an environment variable).

That line sets MATH_LIB to the value of the MERCURY_MATH_LIB environment
variable, or to `-lm' if MERCURY_MATH_LIB is not set in the environment.
So setting MERCURY_MATH_LIB in the environment should work.  But editing
that line to remove the `-lm' is another way of achieving the same effect.

> When I set it to the empty string, I still get the dependency on cygwin1.dll.

Hmm, that's odd.  I don't get that here.

 | bash$ MERCURY_MATH_LIB= mmc hello.m
 | bash$ cygcheck.exe hello
 | Found: .\hello.exe
 | .\hello.exe
 |   C:\WINNT\System32\msvcrt.dll
 |     C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
 |       C:\WINNT\System32\NTDLL.DLL
 |
 | Use -h to see help about each section

> Asking for make spewage (using --verbose and --debug-make) shows no -lm
> linkage.  What next?

Do you get the dependency on cygwin1.dll for samples/hello.m, when
invoked as shown above?  If not, you need to provide more information
about how you are invoking mmc so that we can reproduce the problem.