[mercury-users] Using existential quantification?

Douglas Auclair dauclair at msn.com
Thu Feb 6 08:54:11 AEDT 2003

Dear all,

I'm curious about existential quantifiers.  I'm familiar using them for
first-order logical proofs:

(3x)(x <- ~p)  % '3' means 'there exists'

But I'm not understanding their utility in Mercury.  I've read the Mercury
Language reference manual on existential qualifiers, but the discussion and
examples will need some time and further explanation to me for them to sink
in.

That's what I'm asking here.  Are there papers (on the web) or books that
discuss using existential quantification in programming languages that I can
study?  Do you have examples of code (besides std_util's univ) that use
existential quantification?  Could you please provide some guidelines for
what classes of problems should use existential quantification?

Thanks.

Douglas Auclair