[mercury-users] Mode problem

Lauri Alanko la at iki.fi
Sat Nov 30 21:34:41 AEDT 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 06:55:01PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> That Prolog code doesn't work properly.

Well yes, I purposefully simplified it to the extreme, although the
misplaced cut in lookup was a genuine blunder.

Anyway, the idea was that since type inference requires unification, and
prolog has unification built-in, it'd be a natural choice for
implementing it. I then just wondered if Mercury could offer a
well-typed alternative.

However, if all the unification has to be done manually, as you show in
your example, then it requires just about as much work as coding the
whole thing in Haskell would. And, no offense, I like Haskell's syntax
better.

But thanks in any case.

Lauri Alanko
la at iki.fi