[mercury-users] Standard Input ... ... Binary Input

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Nov 6 12:40:11 AEDT 2002

On 05-Nov-2002, Noel  Pinto <cool4life at rediffmail.com> wrote:
> Plz tell me what is the difference between standard input & output
> streams and current input & output streams.

The standard input is the input stream set by the operating system
when the program starts.  This is determined by how the program is invoked.
Normally it will be the terminal, but it may be a file if the program
was invoked with its input redirected (e.g. using the shell's "<" input
redirection operator).
The standard input cannot be changed by the Mercury program.

The "current input" is initially set to the standard input,
but can be changed by the Mercury program.
For example, the Mercury program can open a file,
and can then call io__set_current_input to set the current
input to that file.