[mercury-users] language sensitive editors (was: Lisp-like syntax for Mercury)

Tom Howland Tom at Tomzilla.org
Wed Jun 12 05:19:56 AEST 2002

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

>There was a vogue for language-sensitive editors.  What happened to them?

The latest IDE's for Java come pretty close. Although the automatic
indentation for Java that comes with recent versions of XEmacs is better
than any I've seen from a Java IDE, current Java IDE's such as JBuilder
are constantly parsing your source as you are typing it in, attempting
to give you reasonable auto-completion and enumerating syntactic errors
unobstrusively in a tree view separate from your editor pane. Unresolved
symbols are underlined like a typo would be indicated by MS Word.

There are other things happening with Java that harken back to LISP
machine days. There is BeanShell ( http://www.beanshell.org/ ) that is
essentially a Java command line interpretor which reminds me of the
Rational Ada Machine.