[mercury-users] Is a mercury program a decision tree?!

Terrence Brannon princepawn at earthlink.net
Wed May 16 11:35:48 AEST 2001

I recently got excited by my discovery of decision trees. I went
through a BA and MS in Computer Science without hearing about them. I
was immediately enamoured of how they allowed one to make policy
manifest in a table as opposed to a contorted nest of if-then-elses.

I was thinking about how I might implement them in Mercury when
lightning struck: could it be the case that a Mercury program already
is a decision tree? Furthmore, it would be very easy to encode don't
cares for large parts of the cartesian cross product of the condition
sets in Mercury.

If anyone has any success stories or works in progress regarding
clean, definitional specification of decision trees in Mercury, I
would love to hear about it.