[mercury-users] Problem with mmake

Tom Howland tom.howland at us.xacct.com
Tue Jun 5 03:39:42 AEST 2001

Fergus Henderson writes

> How do Quintus Prolog and GHC tell which options are for the run-time
> system and which are for the application?

As I recall, Quintus would create a list of user arguments that one could
access using the idiom

	unix(argv(L))

and L would be bound to a list of command line arguments. Any argument that
Quintus didn't recognize was assumed to be a user argument and placed in
this list. Quintus command line arguments always started with the
unconventional '+', the thinking being that an application writer would be
very unlikely to choose that as a command prefix. Finally, all arguments
following the flag '+z' would be passed directly to the application
uninterpreted.

I just checked the manual, and none of the above information was there!

http://www.sics.se/isl/quintus/qp/ref-unix.html#G00450

Of course, these rules only came into play when invoking the Prolog
development system. Runtime systems did no interpretation of command line
arguments. The runtime Prolog system still had a few configurable options
that could be set with environment variables such as garbage collecting
parameters and which character set to favor.