[mercury-users] Event handling in mercury

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jul 24 12:11:18 AEST 2001

Holger Krug <hkrug at rationalizer.com> writes:
	But you (or your colleague in another course) nevertheless have to
	explain it to students, because its common industrial practice to use
	the word "static" this - admittedly not very straightforward - way.

	At the end its the decision of the Mercury developers what they want
	Mercury to be: a language only for education or for industry, too.

Last time I bothered to count, I knew more than 200 programming languages.
Of those, *ONLY* PL/I and C-derived languages use 'static' in this way.
If you talk about 'static' to a Fortran programmer, s/he'll look baffled:
the nearest thing in Fortran is 'SAVE', which is somewhat different.

Perhaps Mercury could be a language for educating industry that C was
not the beginning and will not be the end of all programming languages.

Frankly, any industrial programmer who can't cope with 'global' instead
of 'static' should be patted on the head and given a Windows 3.1 box to
play with.  Such a programmer should by no means be allowed to write any
code that is actually used in business.