[mercury-users] How did Mercury do away with the cut?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Fri Jul 6 14:24:13 AEST 2001

Terrence Monroe Brannon <tmbranno at oracle.com> wrote:
	I always found the cut to be a confusing part of Prolog. I was
	wondering how Mercury managed to eliminate the necessity for this
	predicate.

Determinacy analysis using modes eliminates most green cuts.
"Promise one solution" (which I haven't used yet) could fix others.
If-then-else replaces most red cuts.

	In eliminating it, is it still possible to make programs semantically
	equivalent to Prolog in about the same amount of code?

I've translated a few thousand lines of Prolog to Mercury.
The lack of logical variables (or even incomplete data structures)
is far more difficult to deal with.