Functional syntax (Was: RE: [mercury-users] Hi, and determinism)

Peter Ross peter.ross at miscrit.be
Mon Jan 29 21:52:29 AEDT 2001

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 10:24:46AM +0000, Dan Sheppard wrote:

> How does mercury compare to a random functional compiler if everything
> in a program is det or semidet? Does the nondeterminism imposr much
> baggage if it's not used? I'd guessed not.

One of the goals of the Mercury system is no distributed fat.  That is
a feature shouldn't impose a performance penalty on parts of the system
that don't use that feature.  This is the case for nondet code, you only
pay for it when you use it.

Like in all things, it depends on which benchmark you choose when
comparing Mercury with a functional language.  I would say in general
though we are pretty quick, unless it involves floating point arithmetic
and you are not using the hlc back end.

Pete