[mercury-users] Debugger question

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Feb 3 16:12:17 AEDT 2001

On 02-Feb-2001, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I've got a program I want to debug that takes its input from stdin.
> I can't find a way of running this program under mdb without feeding
> it the input data by hand.
>
> Would it be possible to add (or does there already exist) an option
> say `--input <file>' to mdb that would do the obvious thing?

You can achieve that using the `--tty' option to mdb.
Create a new virtual terminal or xterm window,
use the `tty' command to figure out the name of the device
for that terminal, run e.g. `sleep 99999' in that tty,
and then on another terminal/window run `mdb --tty /dev/whatever ./myprog'.

$ mdb --help
Name:	mdb - Mercury debugger
	By default, all the output of the debugger and the output of the
	program being debugged will be interleaved on the same terminal
	window.  This can be avoided using the `--tty' or `--window'
	options described below.

	-t <file-name>, --tty <file-name>
		Redirect all of the I/O for the debugger to the device
		specified by <file-name>.  The I/O for the program
		being debugged will not be redirected.