[mercury-users] Calling Mercury from C and handling io__state

Roy Ward rward at infoscience.otago.ac.nz
Wed Dec 19 15:03:25 AEDT 2001

Fergus Henderson wrote:

>| Arguments of type `io__state'
> | or `store__store(_)' are not passed at all; that's because these types
> | represent mutable state, and in C modifications to mutable state are
> | done via side effects, rather than argument passing.
>

>Does that answer your question?

Yes it does thanks - I'd even managed to read that paragraph before I
posted,
and somehow interpreted it as saying that a called function couldn't have
io__state. Oops.

I've now moved on to getting segmentation violations when I call
mercury_init
from Java, but that's a different issue.

Cheers,
Roy Ward.