[mercury-users] Compiling Mercury on MacOSX

Terrence Brannon princepawn at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 12:33:37 AEST 2001

Roy Ward writes:
 > on 29/4/01 8:39 PM, Terrence Brannon at princepawn at earthlink.net wrote:
 >

 > > ok, the previous patch fixed the previous problem. now I have the
 > > problem below. I'd appreciate some help with this one too.
 > >
 > > cd trace && PATH=../scripts:../util:$PATH MMAKE_VPATH=. MMAKE_DIR=../scripts
 > > ../scripts/mmake
 > > MERCURY_ALL_C_INCL_DIRS=" -I../browser -I../library -I../runtime -I../boehm_gc
 > > -I../boehm_gc/include " ../scripts/mgnuc --grade none.gc     --no-ansi    -g
 > > -c mercury_trace.c -o mercury_trace.o
 > > mercury_trace.c:172: undefined type, found `Word'
 > > cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic
 > > mode
 >
 > Terrence,
 >
 > how did you even get that far? I get stuck at the following:
 >
 > > /usr/include/mach/shared_memory_server.h:47: warning: could not use
 > > precompiled header '/usr/include/mach/mach.p', because:
 > > /usr/include/mach/shared_memory_server.h:47: warning: macro 'r23' defined by
 > > mercury_bootstrap.h conflicts with precomp

edit mercury_bootstrap.h and do a #define MR_NO_BACKWARDS_COMPAT above
the #ifdef MR_NO_BACKWARDS_COMPAT

 > then:
 >
 > > cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic
 > > mode
 > > In file included from /usr/include/mach/machine/thread_status.h:27,
 > > from /usr/include/mach/thread_status.h:154,
 > > from /usr/include/mach/exception_types.h:140,
 > > from /usr/include/mach/mach_types.h:68,
 > > from /usr/include/mach/mach.h:59,
 > > from /usr/include/mach/shared_memory_server.h:47,
 > > from /usr/include/sys/mman.h:61,
 > > from mercury_memory.c:84:
 > > /usr/include/mach/ppc/thread_status.h:59: parse error before `.'

I never had this error. I got the 4-10 ROTD (release of the
day). Fergus may have an even more recent one as he has been
incorporating the changes based on my compiler notes.

But with a new distribution, you can definitely got all the way
through the "make" step with no errors. I hope to have good news about
"make install" in a few days.

 > That's using the 0.10.1 source. I'm very very keen on getting
 > Mercury working - that's one of my main motivations for running
 > OSX.

What do you use Mercury for? I am hoping to cease my career as a Perl
programmer and become a logic programmer of some sort. It's just too
hard to be sure how correct your Perl programs are.

--
Carter's Compass: I know I'm on the right track when
by deleting something I'm adding functionality.