[mercury-users] posix stuff

William Lee Irwin III wli at holomorphy.com
Tue Apr 3 20:47:47 AEST 2001

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 10:19:53AM +1000, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> Are you sure?  The code looks fine to me (although it could
> be documented better).  I think you have just misunderstood
> how it is supposed to work.

The Mercury code and/or supporting C code is correct as far as I can
tell. I've never had to do this sort of thing for socket code before.
I recently got confirmation of this behavior (for code which does not
use the Mercury runtime) from Tim Stark on alt.sys.pdp10 and so this
appears to actually be a workaround for a bug in either some particular
versions of libc or the Linux kernel. There is probably also a race
involving whatever is clobbering select's argument and the copyback in
the workaround code which is hidden by the quick copyback. If I gain
more insight into what is really happening here I'll cc: this list.

Cheers,
Bill