[mercury-users] Mercury & FreeBSD

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Apr 3 09:55:13 AEST 2001

On 02-Apr-2001, Piotr Sroczynski <piotr at m1.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to compile Mercury 0.10 on FreeBSD 4.2?
> What should I do?

0.10 doesn't compile out-of-the-box on FreeBSD 4.2.
There were some problems with the signal handling code.
This should be fixed in 0.10.1.
So you should get the 0.10.1 source distribution (which is
building as we speak, and should be on the beta-releases
directory of our ftp site shortly; the 0.10.1-beta* versions
which are already there should be fine too).

For 0.10.1, there is still one problem that I know of:
`make install' fails when building the runtime library
in the `hlc.par.gc' grade, with a message like this:

 | ` case "hlc.par.gc" in *.par*) echo "-lpthread" ;; esac `                 \
 |         `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name` -lm -lc
 | /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lpthread
 | make[2]: *** [libmer_rt.so] Error 1
 | make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/users/fergus/mercury-compiler-0.10/runtime
 | '
 | make[1]: *** [install_grades] Error 1

However, the hlc.par.gc grade of the libraries is the very last thing
that it tries to install, and isn't critical, so you can just ignore
the error -- by the time it occurs, you've already successfully installed
what you need.

P.S.
Ideally I'd be able to just say "read README.FreeBSD", but unfortunately
the instructions in README.FreeBSD are out-of-date.