[mercury-users] RFC: Removing support for `:' as a module name separator

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 21 21:05:23 AEDT 2000

For a long time now it has been the intention to remove support for
`:' as a module separator and, instead, use it for inline type
qualification.

This would mean that any code using `:' as the module name separator
will have to be altered to use the more common `__' instead.  This
should be a straightforward global search and replace in most cases.

I would like to make this change soon, but, since there is also a plan
to one-day replace `__' with `.' as the module name separator, the
question is whether we should do things incrementally (`:' to `__',
thence to `.') or all in one go (`:' *and* `__' to `.').  The problem
with the latter is that it's going to take more time to come about.

So... if you would find changing from `:' to `__' a Royal pain right
now, please speak up and, if there's sufficient resistance, we'll hold
off - otherwise, I'd like to get started on the change.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com