[mercury-users] [petdr at miscrit.be: Report on the ICFP 2000 prog contest]

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Sep 7 13:19:34 AEDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:50:42PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 06-Sep-2000, Peter Ross <peter.ross at miscrit.be> wrote:
> > Which is why I think we should add a warning to the compiler that points
> > out implicit unifications in semidet code, because I have been bitten by
> > this `feature' before.
>
> I agree.  Bart Demoen has argued this in the past -- that the compiler ought
> to issue warnings for calls to implied modes (or at least have an option to do
> so).  Up until now I have not really been convinced by his arguments, since
> I had not found it to be much of a problem in practice.  But now I'm convinced.

I'm really concerned this will become yet another reason not to make use of
mode polymorphism in Mercury.  It seems very odd to me that despite the fact
that Mercury allows *more* mode polymorphism than Prolog (because it
statically reorders code to fit the mode), real Mercury code seems to make
much less use of it than Prolog code.

--
Peter Schachte <schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU>  True development puts first those
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~schachte/      that society puts last.