[mercury-users] The Mercury Language

Tennessee tjleeuw at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Thu Sep 7 11:03:43 AEDT 2000

> Actually I've found the docs to be mostly excellent
> (admittedly I've touched prolog somewhere in the dim past,
> and I'm good at picking up 'pure' languages). Possibly
> something more in between the introduction and the reference
> manual would be nice (no, I'm _not_ volunteering).

Well, the docs are basically just the interface section of the code. And
while it's useful, sometimes I'm too clueless to work out exatcly what's
going on. The docs are useful if you're just looking for clarification on
something you already know about, but I've occasionally had trouble working
out from scratch what a predicate does.

> About getting Mercury used, I refused point blank at my
> job (admittedly a research project) to use Java for some
> non-trivial symbolic processing (a planner) on the basis
> that it was an inappropriate language for the task. I went
> through the other options and it 'turned out' that Mercury
> came out as the best one. I had something of an advantage,
> because no one else wanted to do the planner.

Well, it's good that they let you!

> I'm now trying to arrange to use Mercury for as much of my
> new code as possible.

Good lad. Today the planner, tomorrow the budget. :)

Reminds me of a quote. "Once you've got them by the balls, their hearts and
minds will follow."

-T