[mercury-users] Mercury as a 1st class prototyping language ?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Tue Oct 31 12:14:01 AEDT 2000

I wrote:
	> examples, thinking that C++ compilers might have improved their
	> STL handling dramatically since my (1996? 1997?) benchmarks where
	> Scheme was outperforming C++.
Pixel asked:
	is there somewhere we can access those benchmarks?

I moved,  Need I say more?  The main benchmark was a straightforward
sort command: read all lines into a suitable data structure and somehow
emit them in sorted order.

At the time I took it for granted that string handling in C++ was
reasonable and blamed the data structures, but the recent tests show
<string> operations in C++ being stunningly slow.  I shall have to
think up some new benchmarks to test the containers in the STL.  I should
think that just about anything you whip up to build a lot of strings will
demonstrate the problem.