[mercury-users] garbage collection

Michael Day mcda at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Mon Oct 30 20:49:20 AEDT 2000

> Most garbage collectors and memory allocators provide some functionality
> for tuning the behaviour of the collector/allocator, but the details vary.
> In general, the need for tuning, the type of tuning required, and the
> effectiveness of such tuning are going to be inherently system-dependent.

Okay, how about providing boehm_gc, net_gc, etc modules on a
system-dependent basis, and a portable gc module that allows programs to
set hints to the garbage collector (like, collect now please, I've got
some spare cycles to burn) which are not guaranteed to be honoured,
depending on the platform?

(Incidentally, there seemed to be an enormous delay between my sending the
messages I sent. Is mercury-users moderated, lagged or just weird?)

Michael