[mercury-users] MCORBA woes

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Nov 5 21:25:40 AEDT 2000

On 05-Nov-2000, William Lee Irwin III <wli at holomorphy.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 06:43:32PM +1100, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> > Are you sure you have installed the CVS build of Mercury and you are
> > using it?  It looks like an earlier version is in your path (e.g.
> > something many months old -- possibly 0.9.1).
>
> I'm checking out the source from CVS and building a deb from it,

The simplest way to get a recent release is to download one of our
"release-of-the-day" snapshot binary or source distributions -- see
<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/download/rotd.html>.

Checking out the source from CVS is possible, of course, but if you
want to build a version from CVS, you usually need to first download
and install a recent release-of-the-day, since the system often depends
on recently changed implementation details in order for it to build
properly.  (This is unfortunately very difficult to avoid.)
Note that the source distributions include the generated C files,
so you don't need to have a recent version already installed to build
the source distributions.  But the CVS repository does not include
the generated C files.  So if you just want a recent release, get
the release-of-the-day distribution rather than using the CVS
repository.

> and see
> the following rather discouraging message:
>
> dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.8.1.rotd19991025-2
>
> I'm guessing this is just an artifact of the Debian changelog not being
> updated, but this begs the question of which branch should be used. I'm
> not even sure what the names of the branches are, in all honesty. Are
> they listed anywhere?

You can use the `cvs log' command to list the different cvs tags.
E.g. `cvs log -h'.  Probably the main ones of interest are as follows:

	- the main branch (no tag): this is the latest bleeding edge
	  stuff.  With a bit of luck it will compile, but it might not.

	- the "unstable-*" tags: these correspond to the "unstable"
	  release-of-the-day releases.  These are a bit more stable
	  than the main branch, since they have bootstrapped
	  themselves, but will usually fail some of our test cases.

	- the "stable-*" tags: these correspond to the "stable"
	  release-of-the-day releases.  They have bootstrapped and
	  passed all the test cases.  (They might fail on different
	  architectures, though.)

	- the "version-*" tags: these correspond to released versions.
	  E.g. "version-0_9_1" is 0.9.1, and "version-0_9_x" is the
	  0.9.* branch.  These have bootstrapped and passed all the
	  test cases on multiple architectures and at multiple
	  different optimization levels.

But as I said above, you probably just want to get a
release-of-the-day release rather than using the cvs repository.