[mercury-users] Problems running under Windows

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Mar 29 21:10:10 AEST 2000

On 29-Mar-2000, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> [Trying again...]
>
> I copied my Mercury set-up from work (where I'm running Windows2000)
> to my home machine (running Windows98) by transferring the following
> directory trees:
>
> c:\cygnus
> c:\home
> c:\usr	[includes local\mercury and local\src\mercury]

You probably also need "C:\bin", which should contain "sh.exe".

Due to the wonders of Windows, even that might not be sufficient.
Some of the configuration information that Cygwin uses (for example the mount
table) is stored in the Windows registry.  AFAIK there is no easy way to copy
that configuration data.  It would therefore be safest to reinstall
Cygwin from scratch on your home machine.

> $ mmake
> make: *** No rule to make target `Mercury/ints/array.int', needed by
> `Mercury/cs/naffplan.c'.  Stop.
>
> Is there an obvious reason for this that is easy to fix?

There's no *obvious* reason, but my guess is that this is probably due
to the "system" attribute not being set on the symbolic links in
/usr/local/mercury-rotd-2000-02-29/lib/mercury/ints/Mercury.

Cygwin uses files with the "system" attribute set to represent
symbolic links.  This enables it to quickly check whether
a file represents a symbolic link, without opening that file.
My guess is that when you copied the files, the copying tool
that you used did not preserve the "system" attribute.

Cheers,
	Fergus.