[mercury-users] Syntactic sugar for higher order types and modes

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jul 21 17:45:18 AEST 2000

On 21-Jul-2000, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 20-Jul-2000, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > I like the idea, but not the particular syntax that you've chosen for it.
>
> The usual rule about this is that if you don't like syntax you're not
> supposed to criticize it until you come up with a better suggestion.

I'm not sure where you heard that rule ;-)  But if you insist,
I can always fall back to just suggesting that we stick with the
current status quo, which is IMHO better than adding the feature that
Ralph suggested with the syntax that he suggested.

However, I do have another suggestion:

	- change the module qualifier from `:' to `.' as previously planned

	- use infix `:' in `pred' and `func' declarations:

		:- type bar == pred(int, int).
		:- type baz == (func(int) = int).

		:- pred foo1 : bar.

		:- func foo2 : baz.

	- I guess we could also use infix `:' in `mode' declarations...

		:- inst bar_mode1 == (pred(in, out) is det).
		:- inst bar_mode2 == (pred(out, in) is nondet).
		:- inst baz_mode == (func(in) = out is det).

		:- mode foo1 : bar_mode1.
		:- mode foo1 : bar_mode2.

		:- mode foo2 : baz_mode.

	  On the other hand, this is not so nice, since the idea was
	  to use `:' as a type qualifier, and here in mode declarations
	  it's a mode qualifier.  On the other hand using `::' wouldn't
	  be very nice either, since the syntax `:- mode foo :: bar.'
	  already has a meaning.  Hmm, I guess we could use `:::'.

Note that for mode declarations like this, you should really specify
the name of a higher-order inst, not a higher-order mode.

> My suggestion is no operator at all.
>
> :- pred foo bar.
>
> This is completely the same as the syntax for predicate types (and
> modes) and is how we use equivalence types everywhere else (no special
> operators or syntax, just use the equivalence wherever you would
> normally put the equivalent type).

Well, it's not really the same as the existing syntax for
predicate types and modes; if the current syntax were

	:- pred foo1 pred(int, int).
	:- func foo2 (func(int) = int).

then what you suggest would make perfect sense, but the current syntax
is a little different than that, so it's not "completely the same".