[mercury-users] Idea for a currying library

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Jan 16 00:51:16 AEDT 2000

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 12:05:55AM +1100, Michael Day wrote:

> Hmm I assumed that the current argument ordering semantics would still
> apply and argument naming would be used in calls specifically to ensure
> clarity, or to protect against future argument changes, or for the
> demonstrated use in currying.

If you're going to introduce named arguments, I think you'll get more
more mileage out of them if you make argument order irrelevant when
argument names are used.  In this case, though, I don't think currying
(ie, not mentioning all arguments in a closure) makes sense when
argument names are given, except perhaps when only one argument is
missing, as there's no good natural order to determine which missing
argument is which.

--
Peter Schachte                     Microsoft could never have succeeded as a
mailto:schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        software company if its intentions to