[mercury-users] Indexing & operational semantics

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at hermes.otago.ac.nz
Wed Feb 2 10:24:06 AEDT 2000

Peter Schachte wrote:
	(I'm using && as sequential conjunction for this
	example.)  The only subtlety is in choosing the precedence for &&.
	Should a, b && c, d associate as (a,b) && (c,d) or as a, (b && c), d?

Either way is bound to confuse someone.  I think the answer is to borrow
an idea from Ada, and say that any given conjunction may contain all
`commutative and's or all `sequential and's, but it's a syntax error to
mix them.  The same would apply to commutative -vs- sequential or, should
that ever be proposed.