[mercury-users] string append

David Overton dmo at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 2 09:15:08 AEST 2000

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:20:40PM +1000, Michael Day wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is use of the + operator to append strings considered poor coding style?
> If not, could this (or any functional form, really) be added to string.m?
>
> :- func string + string = string.
>
> S0 + S1 = S :- append(S0, S1, S).
>
> (Does anyone like using ++ to append lists, or can we at least get a
> functional variation of append?)

As Rob and Ralph have mentioned, there is already a functional version
of append (for both strings and lists).  You can use it as an infix
operator by enclosing it in backquotes, e.g.:

	S = S0 `append` S1 `append` S2

David
--
David Overton      Department of Computer Science & Software Engineering
PhD Student        The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia