[mercury-users] Custom declarations and preprocessors.

Stephan Lehmke lehmke at jupiter.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Apr 13 20:40:00 AEST 2000

Ralph Becket wrote on Thu, 13 Apr 2000 03:04:41 -0700:

> > From: Peter Schachte [mailto:schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU]
> >
> > > Anthony Senyard <anthls at cs.mu.oz.au> is working on a Mercury
> > > documentation tool that allows
> > >
> > > 	:- doc(predname/arity, "Some comment about the predicate").
> >
> > It seems more natural to me to put this kind of documentation
> > in the source file as a comment...
>
> I agree completely.  By all means come up with a comment-embedded
> mark-up language and, say, a documentation-extraction-tool-friendly
> coding style, but I can't see any advantage to extending the language
> itself with commenting directives (in fact, it'd be a royal pain).

May I point out that LaTeX's listings package

ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/listings.html

knows about Mercury and does quite a good job pretty printing.

So as syntax analysis is already being done, it shouldn't
be too much of a problem to add some structured information
in comments.

regards
Stephan

  Stephan Lehmke     		 Stephan.Lehmke at cs.uni-dortmund.de
  Fachbereich Informatik, LS I	 Tel. +49 231 755 6434
  Universitaet Dortmund		 FAX 		  6555
  D-44221 Dortmund, Germany