[mercury-users] Installing on Irix 6.x

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Sep 17 00:46:26 AEST 1999

On 13-Sep-1999, Gregory Daniel Denehy <gdenehy at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:

> I'm trying to install the mercury 0.8.1 compiler from the source
> distribution on an SGI Indy running Irix 6.2, however, it appears that the
> assembler doesn't understand certain macros.  I was wondering if anyone
> else has tried this before and if there is a fix.  I've included the
> output from the installation below.
> ./if_mach MIPS IRIX5 ../scripts/mgnuc --grade asm_fast.gc --assemble -o mach_dep.o ./mips_sgi_mach_dep.s
> ./mips_sgi_mach_dep.s: Assembler messages:
> ./mips_sgi_mach_dep.s:11: Error: unrecognized opcode `nested(GC_push_regs,'
> ./mips_sgi_mach_dep.s:12: Warning: .mask outside of .ent

Hmm, it looks to me like the assember is not running `cpp'.
Perhaps you are using the GNU assembler?
Try setting replacing the definition of `AS' in the `mgnuc' script
with `AS="gcc -c -x assembler-with-cpp"'.
Or alternatively try the latest release-of-the-day rather than 0.8.1 --
in our current development version there is an autoconf test which checks
for that.