[mercury-users] io.m, directory listing

Tomas By tomas at research.nj.nec.com
Thu Oct 7 12:49:17 AEST 1999

First of all, let me just say that I'm perfectly happy to let you
people organise the libraries any way you want... but

Fergus Henderson writes:
> Anything which provides services that require additional operating system
> support above and beyond what is provided by ANSI/ISO C is likely to be less
> portable, and so it's probably better to put such services in a different
> module, so that it's easier to avoid accidental dependencies on such
> services.
>
> Does that seem like a reasonable basis for classification?

Well, in general I think it's better to base the classification on
functionality. It's not obvious why deleting a file should be grouped
with reading/printing the contents rather than with the other file
management stuff.

Incidentally, I have just spent a few hours adding things to `dir.m' and
I've found a practical (as opposed to philosophical) reason to put it all
in `io.m': error messages. Oh and the `buffer' type. Right now I have
those things duplicated in `dir.m'...

/Tomas