[mercury-users] overloading predicates/functions

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Oct 3 17:23:11 AEST 1999

On 03-Oct-1999, Michael Day <mikeday at corplink.com.au> wrote:

> > 	- use multiple names with suffixes
> > 	  (e.g. io__write_string, io__write_float in library/io.m)
>
> Even if you use type classes it seems you will likely end up doing this
> anyway, as you have to write the functions to actually implement the type
> classes.

Yes, currently that is true, although now that we support abstract instance
declarations, you can at least make those names private to the module
that defines them.  But permitting inline definitions of class methods
in `instance' declarations is one of the things on our "TO DO" list;
when that is done, you'll be able to avoid the suffixes altogether.