[mercury-users] socket support in io

Michael Day mikeday at corplink.com.au
Sat Oct 2 21:09:35 AEST 1999

> This comment is so depressing. Maybe you could worry about that once
> you've bloody _done something_.
>
> You're not likely to be bothered by any lawyers before that...

Now now. I was not seriously suggesting it would raise legal issues. Just
if I receive code from someone, I need at least a vague idea of what I'm
permitted to do with it. Seeing as this could range from a Non-Disclosure
Agreement all the way to it being completely free in the public domain,
it's not a meaningless question. If it's just a snippet of code
demonstrating a technique then I would be free to rewrite it my own way or
just study it for ideas, while if it was an [L]GPL'd module I would rather
submit any necessary patches to the author.

Sorry to belabour the point, and yes it does feel a little awkward to
worry about licenses when someone is doing you a favour, but it avoids
unnecessary impoliteness in the long run.

Michael