[mercury-users] undefined references

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Nov 28 12:56:48 AEDT 1999

On 27-Nov-1999, Aaron Olson <arolsn at mta.ca> wrote:
> i've got the binary distribution for a gnu linux i686...after i "make
> hello.depend" and "mmake hello" i get literally 5 screens full of 'unknown
> references' to things like '_IO_stderr_'

This is due to using a binary distribution which is for Linux systems
with libc 2.0 on a Linux system running libc 2.1 (or possibly vice versa).
Note that libc 2.1 is _not_ backwards compatible with libc 2.0 in this sense.
As is stated on our web page, our binary distribution of Mercury 0.8.1
will only work on Linux systems with libc 2.0.

At <ftp://ftp.mercury.cs.mu.oz.au/pub/mercury/beta-releases>,
there are binary distributions of Mercury for both linux-libc2.0
and linux-libc2.1.  I suggest you grab the binary distribution for
linux-libc2.1 from there and try that.