[mercury-users] performance

Tomas By tomas at research.nj.nec.com
Wed Nov 17 04:12:04 AEDT 1999

Hi all,

I have now spent some time unpessimising my program. Specifically, I
have:

1. Replaced `map's with `array's.

2. Changed the `in' and `out' modes of `state' to special (sort of)
   unique modes as in the array module, using the `u' fuction that
   Robert posted (thanks).

3. Done some other improvements, like avoiding looking up a key from a
   value by adding a second map to index it.

All this made the thing about 5 times faster. Thanks to Fergus, as
always, for helpful suggestions.

I also found that my code has, uh, additional potential for improving
the performance. The profiler is a very useful tool most assuredly
amen.

/Tomas