[mercury-users] Partially instantiated modes

Thomas Conway conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 12 10:50:25 AEDT 1999

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 05:17:21PM EST, David Overton wrote:
> This looks like an argument for re-arranging the standard library to
> make predicates easier to use with DCG syntax and/or higher order.
> If varset__new_named_var was changed so that the varset was threaded
> through the last two arguments you could use the DCG syntax to get
> around the variable numbering problem.  Incidentally, the predicate
> would then also have its arguments in the correct order for
> map__foldl, removing the need to write out an explicit lambda
> expression for the code below.

Actually I lied slightly - the code was already a DCG wrt the io__state.
This is (as Peter Schachte has pointed out more than once) the problem
with DCGs. Maybe there is something to his Syntactically Quiet Threading
(TM) (aka global variables) after all....

> This sort of code should be easily handled by our experimental
> alias-tracking compiler.  I've just started up a compiler build to
> test it out.

Excellent! So when does the alias branch merge back onto the trunk?

--
 Thomas Conway )O+     Every sword has two edges.
     Mercurian            <conway at cs.mu.oz.au>