[mercury-users] Visual Programming (again)

Thomas Conway conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Nov 11 09:33:27 AEDT 1999

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 03:50:08PM EST, Samuel Sean Watkins wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Thomas Conway wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 08:42:25AM EST, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> > > Ah, *IF*.  There's the rub!  I find it difficult to understand how anyone
> > > could _not_ be able to read music, but there are millions of 'em around.
> > > Also, a graph is readble *IF* it is small.  Let's see your familiar
> >
> > I think that should read *IFF* not *IF*. :-)
>
> If the idea of supporting a wider character set than ASCII (e.g. Latex,
> Unicode) is terrifying, then I guess visual programming is a wee little
> bit revolutionary - and unlikely to be supported by those who still
> regard the telnet protocol as novel :)

I don't know anyone who still considers telnet novel. I think the issue
with visual programming, as pointed out by Richard and others is not
that it is revolutionary - it's not - but that it doesn't scale as easily
as text based methods.

--
 Thomas Conway )O+     Every sword has two edges.
     Mercurian            <conway at cs.mu.oz.au>