[mercury-users] Microsoft's recent decl. of support?

John Staples staples at svrc.uq.edu.au
Mon Nov 8 12:06:53 AEDT 1999

> I hope we're not going to accept.  Would that be amoral?  Please, try to
> keep Mercury a pure language crafted by individuals out of love for it,
> don't let it become commercial junk product - and don't take money.
>
> Sam

Hmm! This discussion is moving far from my original motive. We all take
money from somewhere to live, and Mercury is no different. Most of us take
our money from sources which are flawed in one way or another - as the man
said,
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

So the idea is to work with our all-too-human fellows to encourage more good
and less bad. Supporting Mercury on a no-IP basis (the report said) is a
good thing and should be encouraged, so I'm with Fergus. Heavy remarks from
Microsoft (even from an employee who might have no knowledge of the
situation I raised) are a bad thing and I sought to discourage them.

BTW I have no financial links with either Mercury or Microsoft.

John Staples
Professor John Staples                              Ph: +61 7 3365 2048
Director, Software Verification Research Centre    Fax: +61 7 3365 1533
The University of Queensland                   email: staples at svrc.uq.edu.au
Queensland 4072, Australia