[mercury-users] Microsoft's financial support

Marko Schuetz marko at ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Sat Nov 6 04:11:44 AEDT 1999

Fergus> On 05-Nov-1999, John Staples <staples at svrc.uq.edu.au> wrote:

>> > Financial support? When did this happen?
>>
>> My info is from the October Australian R&D Review, p17, and refers
>> to an announcement in September and an interview with James
>> Plamondon, Microsoft's Manager of University Research Programs. But
>> others will have more direct knowledge.

Fergus> On behalf of the Mercury group here at the University of
Fergus> Melbourne, I would like to take this opportunity to thank
Fergus> Microsoft for their generous financial support.

Fergus> I'm afraid that the details of the project remain confidential
Fergus> at this point, but they will be made public in due course.

I had thought that something like this could not happen! Well, I had
hoped, assuming the Mercury group is aware of the Halloween documents,
Roberto DiCosmo's "CyberSnare" and "Hijacking the World" and some well
thought out posts concerning licensing/software patents by some group
members.

In case you are interested in some recent discovery of their unethical
behaviour which is illegal even in the US:
http://www.billparish.com/msftfraudfacts.html

Marko
Marko Schütz            marko at cs.uni-frankfurt.de
http://www.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~marko/