[mercury-users] undefined reference to `MR_grade_v1_asm_fast_tags2' ????

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri May 28 18:47:53 AEST 1999

On 28-May-1999, Marko Schuetz <marko at ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:
> Fergus> Ah.  I think the problem is due to the the use of shared
> Fergus> libraries on FreeBSD with Intel *86.
> Fergus> Please try both
>
> Fergus> 	(1) adding `MLFLAGS = --static' to your Mmakefile
> Fergus> 	[This will give you a statically linked executable.]
>
> kind% ./hello_world
> Hello, World!

Great!

> Fergus> and
>
> Fergus> 	(2) adding `MLFLAGS = --shared' and adding
> Fergus> 	`MGNUCFLAGS = --pic-reg' to your Mmakefile
> Fergus> 	[This should give you a dynamically linked executable
> Fergus> 	that uses shared libraries.]
>
> Fergus> and let us know if these solve the problem.
>
> kind% ./hello_world
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Undefined symbol "address_of_init_gc" referenced from COPY relocation in ./hello_world
>
> Fergus> If (1) solves your problem, then you might want to try the attached
> Fergus> patch out.  (cd scripts; patch < ml.in.patch; mmake install)
> Fergus> This patch would make static linking the default for FreeBSD too.
>
> Do the above results imply that shared libs will not work with
> FreeBSD???

Yes, at least not without some hacking.  I'm happy to help you to investigate
what is causing the problem above, but I will shift this discussion to the
mercury-bugs mailing list, since the details will probably not be of interest
to most readers of this list.

Cheers,
	Fergus.